Q: What does SGA stand for?
A: SGA stands for Student Government Association.
Q: How can I get involved with SGA?
A: The best way you can get involved with SGA immediately is to attend our weekly General Assembly meeting that runs from 1:05 to 1:50 PM every Monday. You can also get involved with any hosted SGA programs or activities that run throughout the academic year.
Q: How can I join or become a member in the SGA?
A: There are a few ways that you can become a member in Student Government. You can either run for office through the Freshman Election or the General Election. Or, you can indicate an interest in being a part of SGA in the event of an open position in any branch of student government or any committee SGA has to offer as either a being a Chairperson or member. If you are a Freshman, you’ll have the opportunity to run for office in the Fall Term as a first-year representative. To be a part of SGA, you must be an undergraduate student at MSOE that possesses and maintains a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher while apart of student government.
Q: What are the benefits of joining student government?
A: Being a member is a great opportunity to meet new people and make long lasting connections with a diverse group of students, faculty and administration at MSOE. Joining student government will allow you to improve your knowledge to what is and apply the MSOE mindset in your academic, professional and personal life. Additionally, joining student government makes a great addition to any academic or professional resume.
Q: What does the SGA do?
A: SGA represents the student body by being and ensuring that the voice of student concerns and needs are addressed to the faculty and administration at MSOE. SGA accomplishes this by appointing students to University committees and meets with the VP Leadership Team each academic year. SGA also reports through the Office of Student Life and helps drive decision-making and policy to better the student body. The President and Vice President also regularly meet with the Dean of Students to discuss matters of interest and concern. SGA as well is responsible for the approval process and funding request for any registered student organizations on campus.
Q: What is the Student Government Association (SGA)?
A: Student Government is a student-run organization that strives to promote student involvement, organizational development, and positive change on campus. From an executive perspective, Student Government is the representative body of the students. The work its members put into the organization is shown through their addressing of important issues and their ability to work with MSOE’s faculty and administration to ensure the voice of the students is heard, and their needs addressed.
Q: What programs does the SGA implement?
A: Throughout the academic year there are many events that the SGA is involved with and/or organizes. Some of which include SGA student org. Fair, Mega Meetings, Corner Café, Poker Night, Winter Formal, etc.
Q: When does SGA meet?
A: SGA meets every Monday from 1:05 to 1:50 PM throughout the academic year.
Q: How do I start a new student organization?
A: You can begin the process of creating a new student organization by contacting the Office of Student Life, the President or Vice President of SGA, or by contacting the SGA Chairperson of the Organization Review Committee.
Q: How does SGA represent me?
A: SGA strives to and is composed of representation among every class (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior) as well as any undergraduate major offered at MSOE. In particular, SGA has the ability to perform acts on behalf of the student body. This includes but not limited to write letters, request meetings, or introduce policy change, at the highest levels of MSOE. SGA is embedded among the administration and faculty here at MSOE, this results in our voice to be heeded more often than individual complaints or smaller petitions. We at SGA strive to do our absolute best to bring to the attention of any person’s concerns to the administration or faculty.
Q: Who do I contact to voice a suggestion at SGA?
A: There are many ways to get into contact with SGA. You could contact us through the SGA email (email@example.com). Or, you could personally contact any member on the SGA Executive branch, the Cabinet or the Senate through email.
Q: I don’t feel that my voice or that anyone is listening to me. How can SGA help me?
A: If a problem arises and you wish to have the help from your fellow students to get it done, please bring this issue to the attention to the entirety of the SGA general assembly at our meeting every Monday from 1:05 PM to 1:50 PM, or through contacting us through the SGA email (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also personally contact any member on the SGA Executive branch, the Cabinet or the Senate through email.
SGA membership and representatives
Q: Where and when does SGA meet?
A: SGA currently meets online through Microsoft Teams every Monday from 1:05 PM to 1:50 PM.
Q: Who can be involved in SGA?
A: Any MSOE student can be involved with SGA. The most important thing about SGA is our commitment to the concerns of the student body, which is done through accurate representation. We feel that is very important that everyone understand that just because you may not have the ability to vote on matters that may affect you, that does not mean your voice shouldn’t be heard. This is why we have a time in our General Assembly meetings where any student in the msoe community can address their concerns.
Q: Who has voting rights?
A: According to the SGA Constitution, any member apart of the Senate has the voting right for the general assembly meetings. In the event of a tie, the Vice President of SGA serves as the tie breaker.
Responsibilities of Student Government Entities
Q: What are the responsibilities of the President of SGA?
A: The role of the President of SGA is to:
- Provide a vision and direction to Student Government
- Call General Assembly Business Meetings.
- Preside overall General Assembly Business Meetings as Chairperson.
- Serve as an official representation of Student Government to the Administration, Faculty, and Staff of MSOE.
- Appoint Senators and students to the Senate, University, and Ad-Hoc Committees.
- Appoint students as Senators in the event of an open Senator position, subject to majority Senate approval.
- Assign Cabinet Members’ responsibilities to Senators or student on an interim basis in the absence of a Cabinet Member.
- Appoint Students and/or Senators to the Cabinet, subject to majority Senate approval.
- Has veto power over all voting matters of Senate.
Q: What are the responsibilities of the Vice President of SGA?
A: The role of the Vice President of SGA is to:
- Support vision and direction of Student Government.
- Serve as the Chairperson of the Senate.
- Serve as a voting member of the Senate in the case of a tie.
- Succeed the President in the event that the President is unable to serve.
- Oversee the knowledge and content management system of Student Government and ensure that all information collected, presented, and written by Student Government is current and accurate.
- Serve as delegating body in terms of document record keeping to the Senate with subject of approval and discussion by Student Government and its Executive Board.
- Serve as an official representative of Student Government to the Administration, Faculty, and Staff of MSOE.
- Oversee and enforce standards of Student Government entities, as outlined in Section IV of the Bylaws.
- Responsible for determining which Student Organizations are represented by Student Government and assigning those that are not evenly among Senators to ensure all Student Organizations on campus are represented.
Q: What are the responsibilities of the Secretary of SGA?
A: The role of the Secretary of SGA is to:
- Maintain and make available written records of all General Assembly Business, Special Business, and Cabinet Meetings.
- Maintain all records of Student Government.
- Maintain a membership listing and the attendance records of Student Government.
- Provide updates every other week on Student Government’s website.
Q: What are the responsibilities of the Treasurer of SGA?
A: The role of the Treasurer of SGA is to:
- Chairperson of the Funding Review Committee.
- Maintain an accurate record of all Student Government expenses.
- Provide a quarterly expense report to the General Assembly.
- Conduct all financial correspondence (e.g. reimbursement forms).
Q: What are the responsibilities of the Parliamentarian of SGA?
A: The role of the Parliamentarian of SGA is to:
- Ensure the proper functioning of Student Government meetings in accordance with the Student Government Constitution and Bylaws.
- Enforce Robert’s Rules of Order to conduct General Assembly Business Meetings and Special Business Meetings.
- Collect votes during General Assembly Business Meetings.
Q: What are the responsibilities of the Communications Coordinator of SGA?
A: The role of the Communications Coordinator of SGA is to:
- Organize Public Relations efforts between Student Government and the student body, student organizations, Administration, Faculty, and Staff of MSOE.
- Construct surveys in coordination with The Mom Test by Rob Fitzpatrick published in 2014.
- Responsible for accuracy and presentability of communication outside of the Entities of Student Government.
- Responsible for creating and dispersing advertisement materials.
- Responsible for managing and utilizing the Student Government email.
Q: What are the responsibilities of the Event Chairperson of SGA?
A: The role of the Event Chairperson of SGA is to:
- Serve as a consultant to student organizations for planning events.
- Maintain and update the Student Organization Resource Packet.
- Provide quarterly reports on effectiveness of Student Government funded events.
Q: What are the responsibilities of the Elections Chairperson of SGA?
A: The role of the Elections Chairperson of SGA is to:
- Create election procedures, subject to majority Senate approval.
- Record and sum votes during elections to determine results.
- Responsible for the transition of new Senators.
Q: What are the responsibilities of the Senators of SGA?
A: The role of the Senators of SGA is to:
- Represent the student body of MSOE.
- Serve on committees as appointed by the President.
- Vote on all matters of the Senate.
- Has power to overturn a Presidential veto with a two-thirds majority approval of the entire senate.
- Approve a new Vice President in the event that the Vice President is unable to serve, subject to a majority Senate approval.
Q: What are the responsibilities of the Committee Chairpersons of SGA?
A: The role of the Committee Chairpersons of SGA is to:
- Report to the General Assembly on all matters regarding to their respective committees.
- Vote on all matters within their respective committee meetings.
Q: What are the responsibilities of the Committee Members of SGA?
A: The role of the Committee Members of SGA is to:
- Represent the best interest of the MSOE student body as directed by Student Government.
- Vote on all matters within their respective committee meetings.
Last Updated: 10/7/20